SAFETY IS A VALUE, NOT JUST A PRIORITY. IT’S HOW WE DO BUSINESS; IT’S WHO WE ARE!
Our mission is to nurture a culture founded on safety, supported by integrity, leadership, commitment, and respect. Ciner is committed to behavior-based principle-driven safety, health processes, and programs, led by effective management systems and employee involvement.
Every Ciner employee, from the plant in Green River, to our corporate headquarters in Atlanta, is empowered to modify any operation that poses a potential threat to themselves, their fellow workers, the surrounding community, or the environment.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO COME OUT OF THE MINE ARE THE MINERS
Our stellar safety performance continues to speak for itself. Ciner Wyoming’s Big Island Mine and Production Facility is a four-time winner of the U.S. Department of Labor Sentinels of Safety award for being the country’s safest underground mine. Our mine and surface rescue teams are consistently among the best in the country, with seven national mine rescue and three international surface rescue championships.
Committed to our Environment
Ciner understands how important the environment is to our industry. We take pride in the fact that all of our products are made from naturally occurring ingredients. Soda ash is a mineral mined from the ground and refined with no additional chemicals added to the product. Our product is pure and safe enough to be added to food products that are consumed every day. In addition, Ciner soda ash is more environmentally friendly than other products that could be used in its place. Ciner is committed to working towards producing innovative, reliable, and safe products for the environment and for the future.
Recycle | Refine | Reuse
The natural soda ash industry in the Green River Basin uses evaporative crystallizer technology. Similar to all evaporative systems, a concentrated aqueous solution is introduced to maintain the purity and quality of the refined soda ash product. The run-off of this stream (a mixture of soda ash and water) is contained in holding ponds throughout the facility. Ciner has developed a unique solution to reduce the capacity of these ponds and recover the useable soda ash, effectively recovering waste while improving efficiencies. The purified soda ash crystals, chemically sodium carbonate decahydrate, is harvested from the ponds seasonally and introduced as an additional feedstock to complement the mining of trona ore to produce soda ash at the facility.
A Record of Safety
- National Mine Safety and Health Administration’s Annual Metal/Non-Metal Mine Rescue Champion – Blue Team 2018
- Two Million Safe Man Hours without a Lost Time Accident – 2016
- National Mine Rescue Competition – Underground Metal/Nonmetal Team Tech (Bio) – Fifth Place, Blue Team – 2016
- National Mine Rescue Competition – Underground Metal/Nonmetal First Aid – Fourth Place, White Team – 2016
- National Mine Rescue Competition – First Place in First Aid, Second Place in Team Tech, Third Place, White Team – 2016
- Governor’s Safety Award – Wyoming Safety and Workforce Services Award for Safest Large Mine – 2015
- New Iberia Contest, Louisiana – Mine Rescue Blue Team – 2015
- One Million Safe Man Hours without a Lost Time Accident – 1976, 1980, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2011, 2015
- Wyoming State Mine Inspectors Safety Excellence Award – First Place Winner 28 Times and 5 Consecutive Years 2008-2012, 2015
- Industrial Minerals Association – North America (IMA-NA) – 2009, 2010 & 2011 First Place Winner, Large Mine Category – Best RAIR (Recordable Accident Incident Rate)
- Safety Olympiad Champions (Surface Rescue Champions) – 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2010
- National Rescue Champions (Metal/Non-Metal) – 1975, 1982, 1986, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004
- International Champions (Mine Rescue Champions) – 1994, 1995, 2003
- National Safety Council Metal/Non-Metal Mining Safety Award – First Place Winner 9 Times (Non-Coal Underground Division)
Committed to our community
Ciner has always had a strong presence in and commitment to the communities where we work and live. Through donations to local non-profit organizations, our annual company-wide United Way Campaigns, or any other myriad of projects to support our communities, we believe strongly in working hard to give back. Our employees serve as leaders for charitable organizations, volunteer firefighters, and EMTs. We serve as youth sports coaches and community leaders. We’re proud of our employees, their efforts, and the resulting reputation Ciner holds within our communities.
Some of the causes and non-profit organizations we are proud to support include:
- Meals on Wheels
- Relay for Life
- United Way
- The Boys and Girls Club
- Habitat for Humanity
- Special Olympics
- American Red Cross
At Ciner, we live by our values and strive to improve the communities in which we live to enhance sustainability—culturally, economically and socially. We take great pride in supporting our communities, from the safety of our employees and the impact we have on the environment, to helping our youth by providing the necessary resources and facilities to create great lives.
Ciner received a Gold Rating in 2021 from EcoVadis, an internationally recognized group of sustainability experts who analyze and verify company non-financial data in order to create reliable ratings. The review assessed Ciner’s policies and actions in addition to its published reporting related to the environment, labor and human rights, ethics, and sustainable procurement.